Who knew one could take skills straight up from the NFL and place them smack onto the pages of the Jerome Bettis presents, Severe Allergy and Anaphlaxis Playbook? I have to say, it has been quite a while since I’ve read such a clear, concise and easy to read guide that offers up steps for managing Severe Allergy and Anaphylaxis. Sanofi US, the makers of the Auvi-Q, teamed up (pun intended) with NFL great Jerome Bettis, The Bus, who suffers from asthma and manages his own life threatening food allergy to shellfish, to educate the public on creating their own Severe Allergy and Anaphlaxis Playbook. The purpose of the Playbook seems to encourage folks managing allergies and anaphylaxis to create plays or plans for avoidance and being prepared.
What I liked about the Severe Allergy and Anaphlaxis Playbook is that…
- The Playbook is “playing” off of Jerome’s impressive football career and how for his sport he had to memorize his “plays” to be successful.
- Jerome is a real person dealing with allergies and he speaks directly to readers in the playbook.
- It is very easy and pleasant to read.
- Is very well-organized and Jerome offers his own top five plays for staying safe and being prepared.
- The Playbook offers some of the most practical suggestions I’ve seen in print to date! Such as, bring your own condiments to BBQ’s, wash dishes thoroughly, cover up sugary drinks to discourage bees buzzing about, etc.
- Insect stings, latex and exercise induced anaphylaxis were included in the Playbook! I think sometimes we get far too food allergy focused and we over look these serious allergens.
Since Sanofi US is presenting Jerome and the Playbook, obviously, the Auvi-Q is featured as the epinephrine auto-injectable of choice. Clearly, the information regarding life with allergies is global. Stay tuned…I was honored yesterday morning to participate in a group interview with Jerome and I will post more about that next week.