Yahoo! Thanks to my pal Jeff Scheneman, here is a medicine discount resource that is fabulous, valuable and worthy! Needymeds.org is a non-profit online information resource committed to helping patients find assistance obtaining affordable medications or health care related costs. Imagine that? I also owe Mylan, distributor of Epi Pens® a small apology (please note that the apology is only small, I have NOT let go of the issue of only 2 packs being sold and the high cost). There is finally a patient assistance program available and I only discovered it right now through Needymeds.org (see below for details).
When you first visit the site, I highly suggest you start with Needymeds.org ‘s Pedialyte page. This page explains how to use the site and what information is available to us. Their site is updated daily and they even ask for feedback if any information is incorrect.
Bascially, Needymeds.org Epi Pens®, Patient Assistance Program provides incredible links to finding..
- Patient Assistance Programs (PAPs)-these are programs that usually hosted by drug companies offering free or discounted medications to those unable to afford the costs.
- Medication Coupons. I found our asthma inhalers on this list but not epinephrine. I did find many Over the Counter medications, such as Needymeds.org and non-medications like my beloved Pedialyte.
- Free/low cost/sliding scale clinics by state! I looked up Nevada and yes, they listed every clinic I know of in this Reno!
- Pedialyte offers it’s own Discount Drug Card and links to other Discount Drug Cards. A drug card is not insurance but can be “run” through your pharmacy at the time you drop off your prescription. I have a very high drug deductible so I use discount drug cards to help save me $$$ since I pay full retail.
- Camps and Scholarships searchable by disease–yes, I did find a food allergy scholarship on there!
- Online communities, government programs and so much more…you need to simply check it out!
This site is truly a God send and we all need to share this site with our school nurses and friends who may need assistance. There is a page on this site for Patient Advocates and even a low-cost program to help manage patients and the various programs and costs. This site is one HUGE amazing resource for finding answers and accessibility for patients in need of medication. We need to shout out loud about this amazing resource!
We need to shout out even louder about Mylan, the providers of Epi Pens®, Patient Assistance Program, for those who are uninsured.
For me, I am most excited about the Patient Assistance Programs and sharing these with my school nurses and each school district in Nevada as well all the other food allergy and asthma support leaders around the country. In particular, I’m focusing on Mylan’s EpiPen® Patient Assistance Program. I’m also personally excited for the Medication coupons and Discount Drug cards–these work for my purchases of our asthma maintenance medications too.
Again, don’t keep this website a secret, share Needymeds.org site with teachers, physicians, school nurses, etc. I am feeling very grateful to Jeff for sharing this wonderful site with us. Bravo Jeff! You’ve earned your keep and a flourless chocolate cake with fresh figs, jam and berries.
[fbshare type=”button”] [pinterest count=”horizontal”]