There are just no words proper enough to express the gravity of this tragedy due to a life threatening food allergic reaction that took this seven year old boy from his family on Halloween night. In an incredibly giving moment, his family donated his organs. There are always many questions we want to ask…did he accidentally eat a known allergen? Was in cross contact or accidental ingestion? Was there delay in giving life saving epinephrine? We ask since our fears rise up quickly when we read about these tragedies as we try to learn what went wrong so that we don’t repeat this situation. I’ve pulled together a few news stories below. It appears that little Joseph also had asthma and was possibly experiencing asthma symptoms earlier that day and was given a dose of EpiPen®. Asthma increases the severity of allergic reactions and is another strong reason for keeping asthma as under control as possible.
- “Joseph Nicola, 7 dies after suffering an apparent allergic reaction on Halloween”.
- “Father devastated as he goes from Halloween fun with Joseph Nicola to planning a funeral”.
This horrible food allergy death reflects how powerful of a monster this disease can be. I just don’t know how to educate others to take life threatening food allergies more seriously. This has been on my mind quite a bit lately and today’s blog post was going to be exploring why we (schools, other parents, family, etc) are still struggling regarding life threatening food allergies.