Note: As always, consult with your physician before you make changes to the management of any health condition. Gratefulfoodie does not endorse any of the businesses or organizations listed and has not received payment to list these resources. My goal is to help you find tools that might make life easier.
I had tears in my eyes the first time I was in a room surrounded by people, just like me, who were striving to find solutions for living with food allergies and asthma. I was overwhelmed with trying to understanding these invisible diseases. Since that moment 14 years ago, l’ve committed myself to sharing and supporting others in the same spirit that helped up onto this path. My hope for this site is to provide resources and encouragement for learning, growing and solutions on how to tackle life threatening food allergies, anaphylaxis and asthma.
I’m Caroline and in a nutshell (pun intended), I am a wife and the mother of two food allergic (peanut, tree nut, sesame and flax seed) and asthmatic children. I love people and laugh quite a bit. I never trust the first thing I hear and must research everything. I sometimes talk too much and I am passionate about clean air, lung health, and food allergy advocacy. I bake better than I cook. I love a good garage sale. I can dig in my heels when necessary. I work hard at trying to find balance for my busy life. I’m crazy for funky jewelry, art and books.
Grateful – I chose the name Gratefulfoodie after I asked a dear friend what I should name my blog. She said, “of course, the gratefulfoodie”! She explained, “you love food, you show your love with it and food is how you bridged the gap to normalcy for your food allergic kids.” I am very grateful for the foods that my children can eat.
I am grateful for everything in my life.
Goals - My hope for you and this blog is that I can provide you with a big cyber path to resources for living life large with food allergies and asthma. In addition, to sharing recipes and ways you too can advocate, I try to share thoughts and ideas that are important to me that you too might find valuable.
Knowledge - I will never have mastered this journey and be the queen of everything, but I will be a master at traveling this road.
The Past - In my previous life before raising a family, I earned a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management, worked in boutique hotels, have trained all over the world. I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, am a city girl at heart, currently enjoying the outdoor beauty of Northern Nevada and the Sierras with my husband and children.
• Ignite Reno
• National Conference of State Legislators
• FARE Leaders Summit
• FARE Food Allergy Conference
• Food Allergy Blogger Conference (2013 & 2014)
• FAAN Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Conference
These make me proud and grateful for the opportunity…
• Ignite Reno
• Presenter at the National Conference for State Legislators 2014 Legislative summit, “Protecting People with Life Threatening Allergies”
• Lead Advocate for SB453 Epinephrine in Nevada Schools (makes me super proud)
• Assisted the Washoe County School District in writing Management of Students with Food Anaphylaxis which was published and released March, 2012.
• Circle of Moms Top 25 Food Allergy Mom Bloggers!
• Nevada Food Allergy and Lung Health Patient Advocate
• FAAN Kid’s Congress adult participant (2005 & 2009)
Things I do past and present…
• Co-Founder Nevada Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Alliance
• Co-Funder, National Allergy and Anaphylaxis Council
• Marketing and Social Media Committee, American Lung Association, National
• Past Chairs and Chair Elect Assembly, American Lung Association, National
• Advocacy Work group, American Lung Association National
• Past Secretary/Treasurer, American Lung Association Corporate Board of Directors, Southwest Region
• Past Chair, American Lung Association in Northern Nevada (but still a board member–I love these guys)
• Co-founder and co-group leader, Northern Nevada asthma and Food Allergy Parent Education Group (AAPE to those who know and love us),
• Past Trustee, Coral Academy of Science, Reno, NV Board of Directors
• Past FANN Kid’s Congress on Capitol Hill advocate
• Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) Support Group Advisory Council Safe at School trainer
• Safe at School trainer
• Open Airways for Schools trainer
• Love Remembers Day Planning Committee
• Adisor, Kyle Dine Kickstarter Food Allergy Video Project
• Key Informant Panel, Blue Shield Blue Cross Foundation
• Advocate for Nevada Clean Air
• Advocate for food allergy related issues in Nevada
• Allergy and Asthma Foundation of America, Patient Speaker Advocate
e-mail me with your questions and comments at:
or fill-out the contact form in
our contact page:)